Friday, December 15, 2006

ePrep: Another blog to check out

Shortly after my recent post on helpful college admissions blogs, I discovered one I missed (... one of many I bet. I'm looking forward to hearing from those bloggers so I can add them to my list). ePrep is another good resource and a blog you should check out.

ePrep tilts toward SAT and test prep advice, though they've recently added two distinguised experts and have expanded into general admissions and financial aid advice. Karl Schellscheidt, the founder of ePrep and main contributor, is an SAT prep consultant in real life and has posted a bunch of SAT-related tips and advice over the months. I haven't gotten to the SAT phase of my son's admission process yet so I can't speak to how Karl's advice stacks up. After reading a number of his posts it looks pretty helpful and I'm looking forwad to coming back to it next year when my son takes his first test.

Something that's pretty cool about ePrep is that Karl gives much of his advice via video or audio broadcasts. I found that this made the information more engaging and compelling. It's like you're actually sitting in a tutoring session with Karl (without the paying part). Check out this segment: Habeus Answer, or Show Yourself the Answer! and watch the video version by clicking on the 'video mp4' button.

What initially attracted me to ePrep is Dean Fred Hargadon, one of ePrep's two distinguished guest experts. Dean Hargadon, or 'Dean Fred' as his students know him, is the former Dean of Admissions at Swarthmore, Stanford and Princeton. [Full disclosure: Dean Fred admitted me to Stanford so I owe him a great debt of gratitude -- at least.] Dean Fred has great perspective and insight that comes from admitting hundreds of thousands of the brightest high school students over almost 40 years. I know from my days at Stanford everyone loved Dean Fred and had the deepest respect for him. By reading ePrep you too can share some some of his wisdom. Read College McRankings, and Admissions Advice: Part 1 as good examples.


Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home