Monday, December 11, 2006

My Favorite College Admissions Blogs

First, let me say -- I haven't found many blogs focused on college admissions, after many hours of focused searching. Here are three that I like and read regularly:

AdmitSpit: See my post from last month, Advice for students, from students for more on AdmitSpit. It's written by a group of college students who are attending select colleges so they provide a great 'applicant' perspective. Here are a couple of their recent posts that I've found interesting or helpful:

Typical SAT scores for specific top schools
How “x” does academics: x = Cornell (a detailed report on Cornell from a student there)


College Admission Guide, College Search Service:
In contrast to AdminSpit, this blog is written by several college admissions professionals. They post articles releated to college admissions, generally without editorial commentary. I've found most of the articles informative and have used a couple of them in my earlier posts. Here are two articles that I haven't used yet:

SAT Wriitng is Coachable
Demoting Advanced Placement


MIT Admissions Department Blog:
This blog is written by twelve MIT students and four admissions department staffers. It will be super-relevant if you're interested in MIT. It contains a mix of MIT-admission specific administrivia, general 'select' college admission information, and a taste of student life at MIT -- from the students' perspective. Even if you're not MIT-bound this is probably pretty representiative of what's going on at other CAF Select 25 schools. MIT appears to be one of the first schools with an admission blog like this.

This post, Admissions process reflections from a crusty Junior, is a retrospective on early admission decision day from one of the students. This one, What should I be doing now? contains tips from one of an Admission Department staff member.


One final thought...I'm surprised that more select college admissions departments aren't blogging. If you're aware of others, please leave a comment and let me know about them. Thanks!


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,,,,,,,,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home