Sunday, August 17, 2008

SAT Question of the Day

A good way to practice for the SAT test is to sign up for the College Board's SAT Question of the Day. For an investment of a few minutes every day you can become familiar with the different types of SAT questions, and of course practice getting them right.

As you can see from the image on the left I've been answering SAT questions daily for more than a year now (it really is me even though is says 'Greg', I swear!). After all this practice I bet I'd do pretty well on the SAT, even without additional test prep. I signed up to have the questions emailed to me every day, and it has become a part of my morning routine to answer them. Another way to subscribe is with an RSS feed.

If you sign up for an account with the College Board (which every student & parent should do anyway to keep up with SAT & AP test adminsitrivia, along with other helpful college admissions services available on the College Board site) it will keep a running tally of how you do answering these questions. I found this scorecard a useful motivator. I worked for many weeks to get my score up to 90% at one point. It also helps you see where extra preparation would be helpful. If I were going to take the SAT it's clear that I should spend some extra time working math problems, but could probably coast on Critical Reading. If you do sign up for an account it must be in the student's name, and the student can have only one 'official' account. As part of this official account a parent can be added on and can separately subscribe to the Question of the Day. Unfortunately (as far as I've been able to figure out) only one person can track their Question of the Day results per account. Greg didn't embrace this like I did which is why I hijacked his account to track my results.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home